loader image

The Health Care Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other privacy laws can prevent parents from access to health, financial, and academic information regarding their child in college, even if they are paying the bill. This could hamper your ability to assist your child while away at college. While providing your child with a separate joint account with you or a low limit credit card can enable you to fund your child’s needs while away at school, some financial issues arise that are more difficult, and your child may want you to assist them remotely.

Some of the documents that enable you to assist your college bound child include:

  • A durable Power of Attorney for Health Care enables you to have access to health care records and remotely address your child’s medical needs.
  • A durable Power of Attorney for Property enables you to remotely address your child’s financial needs, including student loans, college tuition and cost balances.
  • The particular college’s authorizations to enable you to access your child’s academic records.

If you have concerns or questions, regarding what your college bound student may legally require, please do not hesitate to contact us.


This Brief is designed to provide our friends and clients with information regarding the various subject matters covered, it is not designed to take place of legal, accounting, or other professional advice.  If expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought. This memorandum may constitute advertising under the rules regulating Illinois attorneys.

Brooks, Tarulis & Tibble, LLC
1733 Park Street, Suite 100
Naperville, Illinois 60563

630-355-2101 | info@napervillelaw.com | GET DIRECTIONS