Whether the property damaged is personal or business related, you could lose insurance coverage or protection by failing to give timely or proper notice of the claim. Some issues to consider in submitting your claim to your insurance carrier include:
- Contact your carrier or broker quickly as notice periods may be short.
- Follow all notice of claim procedures exactly as required.
- Retain proof of the receipt of your claim and copies of all documents submitted.
- If coverage or claim procedures are on a website, take screen shots.
- Preserve all policies and documents relating to your insurance and the claim.
- Preserve all repair proposals, estimates and documents received from others.
- Photograph, document and inventory the damage and loss.
- Collect and preserve all documents and evidence relating to the claim.
- Be responsive to information and document requests from your carrier.
- Obtain independent damage repair/replacement estimates.
- Contact your lawyer if the claim is denied or taking too long.
The attorneys at Brooks, Tarulis & Tibble have experience interpreting insurance policies and protecting our client’s coverage. Please contact us if you have any questions or issues in this regard.