With the expanding gig economy, increased use of independent contractors and enhanced enforcement of employment laws, businesses should be aware of the many laws and regulations that impact these relationships in order to avoid problems, including suits, administrative actions, fines, penalties, and damages. Some steps to avoid or minimize these problems include:
- Learning the laws or regulations that impact these business relationships.
- Confirming the propriety and extent of these relationships.
- Memorializing all agreements and policies, and having them acknowledged and accepted.
- Documenting the relationship and the parties’ actions, duties and obligations.
- Knowing when commissions or payments are due and properly paying them.
- Providing mechanisms to adjust and terminate commissions, payments and relationships.
- Preventing independent contractors from binding your business.
Should you have any questions or problems, please contact us for advice and counsel.
This Brief is designed to provide our friends and clients with information regarding the various subject matters covered, it is not designed to take place of legal, accounting, or other professional advice. If expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought. This memorandum may constitute advertising under the rules regulating Illinois attorneys.