Mark counsels clients on a wide range of legal matters, from day-to-day issues to strategic planning that comes with making long term business decisions. He strives to provide clients with successful, cost-effective and efficient representation, regardless of the complexity of their legal issues. Mark takes a genuine interest in his clients and their legal issues, and seeks to build long term relationships with them based on a thorough knowledge of their business and trustworthy representation.
He has represented clients in litigation matters involving real estate disputes, breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, construction liability, intellectual property, trade secret misappropriation, insurance coverage, gaming law and employment issues. He has also represented casinos and gaming companies in licensing, compliance and disciplinary matters before the state gaming authorities in Illinois, Indiana, Missouri and Iowa.
Mark resides in Lisle and is the father of two active kids. He’s an avid golfer, runner and triathlete. He’s a co-founder of “The Race Within US,” a group of philanthropic runners that seeks to raise funds and awareness for the charities they support by running a race in each of the 50 states. He is also an active member in the Naperville Sunrise Rotary Club and Naperville Chamber of Commerce, and is the Race Director of the Naperville St. Paddy’s Day 5k.
Mark’s Area of Practice
Closely Held Companies and Family Business Law
Collaborative Law – Civil
Employment Law – Individuals
Employment Law – Management
Government Relations Practice
Litigation; Trial Law – Litigation
Personal Injury Litigation
Product Liability Litigation
Real Estate Law
Trade Secrets Law
Juris Doctor – With Distinction
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA
Bachelor of Arts
University of Illinois
Brooks, Tarulis & Tibble, Naperville, 2014-present
Schroeder Law Group, Naperville, 2013-2014
Kozacky & Weitzel, Chicago, 2008-2013
Single Site Solutions Corp., Hinsdale, 2005-2008
More Law Group, Chicago, 2002-2005
Freeborn & Peters, Chicago, 1995-2001
McDermott Will & Emery, Chicago, 1990-1994
State of Illinois
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
US District Court for Northern District of Illinois
US District Court for Central District of Illinois
State of Colorado, 1994-2014
Illinois State Bar Association
DuPage County Bar Association
- Note, Private Causes of Action for a Manufacturer’s Failure to Report Substantial Product Hazards: Causation Analysis and Zepik v. Tidewater Midwest, Inc., 75 IOWA L. REV. 567 (1990).
- Co-Author, Access Denied: Casinos, Campaign Contributions and the Constitution, 2 GAMING LAW REVIEW 425 (Aug. 1998).
- Defended national trade show contractor in lawsuit alleging RICO and antitrust violations arising from the rental of moving equipment to exhibition contractors at Chicago’s McCormick Place.
- Represented Fortune 500 software company in prosecuting trade secret misappropriation and copyright infringement claims against a competitor and its customer.
- Defended property manager in Qui Tam/False Claims Act lawsuit arising from management of CHA properties.
- Represented real estate investors in legal malpractice action against law firm that acted as escrow agent of earnest money.
- Defended 1031 exchange facilitator in multiple lawsuits by tenant-in-common investors alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and mismanagement.
- Represented national tobacco retailer in defending against trademark infringement and “gray goods” claims by a cigarette manufacturer and in prosecuting Robinson-Patman price discrimination counterclaims against the manufacturer.
- Represented slot machine manufacturer in obtaining a preliminary injunction against a state gaming agency based on due process violations by the agency during the license renewal process.
- Defended foreign manufacturer of video displays in lawsuit by U.S.-based competitor and prosecuted counterclaims for trade secret misappropriation against the competitor.
- Defended Illinois riverboat casino in class action alleging race discrimination in hiring dealers.
- Acted as special counsel in defending four senior Chicago police officers in sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuit by three female officers.
- Defended national casino company in lawsuit asserting tortious interference claims arising from the casino’s $170 million acquisition of an Illinois riverboat.
- Represented title insurance company in lawsuit resulting from fraudulent procurement of a $20 million title insurance policy.
- Defended mutual insurance company in coverage lawsuits arising from denial of benefits under disability and life insurance policies.
- Defended electronics manufacturer in a product liability lawsuit alleging claims for defective micro switches.